Monday, 27 January 2014

Construction - Evaluating Cover


The aim of my magazine is to provide music on new bands in the Soft Rock Genre of music, so I chose to have a less ‘punk’ model than I initially thought. I think that it could include more of a music element about it, maybe get some photos of the model with a guitar or something. I gave it a darkened and low saturated look because I wanted it to look more ‘rock’ inspired. I’m not sure this works as well as I had hoped.

The coverlines can be read very easily, however I don’t like the way there are placed. I think it looks kind of ‘cheap’ and not so professional. I think I might change these.

The masthead is covering the top of her head but not her face. I think this is ok though. I guess I could of used a different photo but they all seemed to have her face high up, which I should of thought about during the photo shoot.

The typeface is simple, I didn’t want anything too flashy or hard to read. I chose Sans Serif because I think it looks nicer than Serif.

I think the background is fine. I wanted the focus to be on the model/artist so I tried to darken the background as much as possible.

The masthead is easy to read. I originally had the typeface black with a white shadow but I decided to invert it to increase readability. I think the chord design really helps to make it seen as a music magazine.
There is a barcode with numbers underneath. However, I forgot to add the price, date and issue number. This is something I will need to add when revising my design.

I think it is appropriate of the target audience. The artist herself is 18 so she falls between the 16-18 range. She’s also rather cute so might appeal to 16 year olds being slightly younger.

I don’t think it’s particularly music-like. The masthead works really well for a music magazine, being named after a musical term and having a guitar chord worked into the design. The headlines are also music related but I’m not too sure on the image. I think it works ok though, maybe I could add a few music notes or something to help.  

The design doesn’t really look like my original intentions. The masthead does, but I couldn’t seem to get the image to look how I wanted it to. I think maybe because I didn’t know how to so I think maybe I should play around with it a little more to try and make it perfect. The print out made it so that she had pink blotches all over her face and I don’t know why that is when it doesn’t appear that way on the computer.


Overall I think my music magazine is good enough although it could be improved in certain areas, which I will most likely do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment